Site Logo

The ArtCAM Forum - Community help, support and advice for the ArtCAM family of CNC software

This forum is for existing and potential ArtCAM users to share knowledge, tips and tricks.

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 18:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fonts & Text !!!!!!! #&$*^#%&*#^$%*
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2006, 17:31 
Verified ArtCAM Insignia/Pro/JS User

I have a bunch of true type fonts that produce nice vectors. Sometimes I get the self intersecting vectors error and I have to manuaally fix the vectors. If a font creates to many of these errors I just use a different font. I have tried a new font this morning and it keeps giveing me the self intersecting error message and tells me to group the vector to show me where the error is. I tried grouping and there is NO error even though it gives me the error message. Is there something I am doing wrong? Are there crappy true type fonts? How can you tell if a font will work well? A little frusterated...

Ok so I am using the simple shape editor and it lets me do a flat merge high but once i change the shape to a dome it gives me the error, what the hey???

Bart

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2006, 17:36 

Ok I manually spotted a defect in one letter but the program didn't show it to me, any ideas about working with fonts???

Thanks

Bart

Post subject: fonts
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2006, 20:20 

My advice is to firstly print out the entire font in an Artcam model. Ungroup everything and then get in really close using the node editing tool and find the trouble spots, one character at a time. When you have found the probs, go into the font editor and sort out the font and save it. All sorts of things can and do happen with fonts and the Artcam program doesn't actually have a large number of it's own fonts, but goes into the fonts folder and uses what is there and there are some fonts that are riddled with problems. (If you change your computer, remember to copy the fonts folder and reinstall it in the new one.) Some fonts can have errors such as nodes that are stacked up on one another, loops, tiny fragments of vectors, vectors overlapping and a indeed a lot, if not all of the agro that new users have with vectors generally, can be sorted out in this way. It might seem fiddly, but having sorted your favourite font out, you can use it completely free from problems
Regards, Spyder

Last edited by spyder on 26 Jun 2006, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2006, 20:40 
ArtCAM User
ArtCAM User

Hey Tobias,
I had an idea of using the colour fill tool for your fonts.
The fonts that give me trouble I use this method, but I very rarely use fonts and don't even understand the different types, but I haven't come across any problems yet... (In the picture you can see the letters in red, where Artcam has detected an overlapping vector)

-Write text,
-ungroup,
-highlight the entire letter,
-add color fill
-double click on color and shape edit.

Attachments:
Colour-fill.jpg
Colour-fill.jpg [ 59.18 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2006, 20:48 
ArtCAM User
ArtCAM User

Forget what I said, your looking for vectors to create toolpath...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2006, 20:50 

Thanks Maxx , Spyder,

I'm not a big fan of flood filling but as a last resort with a lousy font that should work. Maxx sounds like a great idea but as you can see i don't use fonts that much. I find a couple I can use and stick with them. I had to do a project with raised text of 1.5mm so i had to use a font that didn't have extreme narrow parts in letters. Anyhow, where is the font editor again that sounds like the way to go because it's usually just a few letters in the alphabet. What I did this time which worked very well was to ungroup a copy of the text I was working with. I then chose words and letters and did a simple shape editor merge with them to find the faulty letters. I still couldn't find any errors with some of them so I used the spline vector command with a very small tolerance 0.01. That got rid of any bad nodes with hardly any distortion, probably could have used 0.001 or the like. Thanks again for the tips.

Again where is the font editor?

Bart

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2006, 20:52 

I just noticed the vector docter icon. Anyone have any experience with this?

Bart

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2006, 21:25 

The font editor is on the title page before you open a drawing in "other features" section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2006, 22:14 

Thankyou again

Bart

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2006, 22:47 

The Vector Doctor is great and is the way to go to fix a font or imported vector files. Essentially if you use a tolerance smaller than the one you plan to use for machining then it should display all the problem areas. Personally I like to then fix these myself by manually zooming in and node editing, then you can re-check with the Vector Doctor to make sure all is OK. Be careful using the auto-fix option as it can alter the vectors and also if you do not uncheck the option to Keep originals you can end up with a lot of repeated vectors!

As Spyder mentioned the other option is the Font editor on the welcome page when you first open ArtCAM. This actually lets you fix letters in any font then you can save it as an ArtCAM font and use it in the program, this way you only have to fix it once.

I hope this makes sense, just really expanding on what others have written here, Cheers, James